Below, find our “working bibliography,” organized thematically. Some of these readings will be incorporated into our regular meetings. If you would like to add readings to this bibliography, email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lazzarato, Maurizio. “Immaterial Labor.” In Radical Thought In Italy: A Potential Politics. Paolo Virno and Michael Hardt, eds. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1996.
- —. “The Machine.” http://eipcp.net/transversal/1106/lazzarato/en/print 2006.
- Malabou, Catherine. What Should We Do With Our Brain? Bronx, NY: Fordham, 2008.
- Marx, Karl. “Treatise on the General Intellect” from Grundrisse, and selections from its many recent readings (Virno, Hardt & Negri, etc.)
- Papadopoulos, Dimitris, Niamh Stephenson and Vassilis Tsianos. Escape Routes: Control and Subversion in the 21st Century. Ann Arbor, MI: Pluto Press, 2008.
- Stiegler, Bernard. Technics and Time Vol. 2: Disorientation. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford UP, 2008.
- Virno, Paulo. Grammar of the Multitude: For an Analysis of Contemporary Forms of Life. Semiotext(e), 2004.
Affective and Information Economies and Labor
- Cooper, M. Life as Surplus: Biotechnology and Capitalism in the Neoliberal Era. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press, 2008.
- Hardt, Michael. “Affective Labor.” boundary 2 26.2 (1999): 89-100. http://www.jequ.org/files/affective-labor.pdf
- Hochschild, Arlie. The Second Shift: Working Parents and the Revolution at Home. New York: Penguin Books, 1989.
- Lehrer, Jonah. Imagine: How Creativity Works. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Court, 2012.
- Redfield, Peter and Erica Bornstein. Forces of Compassion: Humanitarianism Between Ethics and Politics. Santa Fe, New Mexico: SAR Press, 2010.
- Strom, Stephanie. “Cracking Open the World Bank.” New York Times. 3 July 2011
- Weeks, Kathi. “Life Within and Against Work: Affective Labor, Feminist Critique, and Post-Fordist Politics.” ephemera 7.1 (2007): 233-249. http://www.ephemeraweb.org/journal/7-1/7-1weeks.pdf
New Theories of Production
- Barrow, Clyde. Universities and the Capitalist State: Corporate Liberalism and the Reconstruction of American Higher Education, 1894-1928. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1990.
- Dyer-Witheford, Nick. “Cognitive Capitalism and the Contested Campus.” In Geoff Cox (ed), Engineering Culture: On ‘The Author as (Digital) Producer. New York: Autonomedia, 2005: pp. 71-94.
- —. Cyber-Marx: Cycles and Circuits of Struggle in High Technology Capitalism. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press, 1999.
- Ehrenberg, Alain. The Fatigue of Being Oneself: Depression and Society. Paris: Odile Jacob, 1998.
- Negri, Antonio. Marx Beyond Marx: Lessons on the Grundrisse. New York: Autonomedia, 1989.
- Read, Jason. The Micropolitics of Capital: Marx and the Prehistory of the Present. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2003.
Activism, Academia, and Praxis
- Derrida, Jacques. Without Alibi. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press, 2002.
- Freire, Paulo. Pedagogy of the Oppressed. London and NY: Continuum, 2000.
- Kamola, Isaac, and Eli Meyerhoff. “Creating Commons: Divided Governance, Participatory Management, and Struggles Against Enclosure in the University.” Polygraph 21 (2009): 15-37.
- Kant, Immanuel. The Conflict of the Faculties. Trans. Mary J. Gregor. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 1992.
- Readings, Bill. The University in Ruins. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1996.
- Roggero, Gigi. The Production of Living Knowledge: The Crisis of the University and the Transformation of Labor in Europe and North America. Philadelphia, PN: Temple University Press, 2011.
- Terranova, Tiziana, and Marc Bousquet. 2004. “Recomposing the University.” Mute 28 (2004): 72-81. http://www.metamute.org/editorial/articles/recomposing-university
- Adamson, Morgan. “The Financialization of Student Life: Five Propositions on Student Debt.” Polygraph 21 (2009): 97-110.
- “After the Fall: Communiqués from Occupied California.” http://afterthefallcommuniques.info
- Armstrong, Amanda and Paul Nadal. “Building Times: How Lines of Care Occupied Wheeler Hall.” Reclamations Journal 1. (December 2009), http://reclamationsjournal.org/issue01_armstrong_nadal.html
- Bernes, Jasper. “The Double Barricade and the Glass Floor.” Reclamations Journal 2 (April 2010). http://reclamationsjournal.org/issue02_jasper_bernes.html
- Inoperative Committee. “University Occupations: France 1968, 2006, Greece 2006, NYC 2008-9.” 2009. http://reoccupied.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/occupations-5.pdf
Tenure, Adjunct, and Precarious Labor
- Boldt, Josh. The Adjunct Project. http://adjunctproject.com/
- Bousquet, Marc. How the University Works. New York: NYU Press, 2008.
- Krause, Monika, ed. The University Against Itself: The NYU Strike and the Future of the Academic Workplace. Philadelphia, PN: Temple University Press, 2007.
- Ross, Andrew. Nice Work if You Can Get It: Life and Labor in Precarious Times. NY: NYU Press, 2009.
- Weeks, Kathi. The Problem with Work: Feminism, Marxism, Antiwork Politics and Postwork Imaginaries. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2010.